As Facebook's user count grows closer and closer to the 1 billion mark worldwide, a number of interesting statistics have been released regarding how users and businesses/brands use the social network.
As these statistics will show, there is plenty of value in business and marketers investing their time in Facebook as it offers incredible reach and engagement opportunities.
- There are over 950 million Facebook users worldwide, with five new profiles created every second
- 500 million users log into Facebook each day
- People in the age bracket of 25 - 34 years old account for 29.7% of Facebook's users, making it the largest Facebook user age group
- Facebook receives its highest amount of traffic during the middle of the week between the times of 1pm - 3pm
- User engagement is highest on Thursdays and Fridays
- The average time each user spends on Facebook is 20 minutes per visit
- Every 60 seconds:
- 136,000 photos are uploaded
- 510,000 comments are posted
- 293,000 statuses are updated
- 42% of marketers consider Facebook to be either critical or important to their business
- Brand engagement on Facebook increased by 176% in 2011
- 77% of B2C companies reported acquiring customers through Facebook
- 43% of B2B companies reported acquiring customers through Facebook
- Since Facebook updated Brand Pages to the new Timeline layout, brands have seen a 46% increase in user engagement
- Brands have also seen a 65% increase in user engagement towards interactive content since the introduction of the Timeline layout
- 72% of marketers handle their social media strategies in-house
- Using automated posts on Facebook decreases likes and comments by 70%
- On a whole, social media has shown to have a 100% higher lead-to-close rate than outbound marketing
Purchases and recommendations
- 51% of fans are more likely to purchase from a brand they've liked on Facebook than those who they haven't
- 56% of people who become a fan of a brand on Facebook are more likely to recommend that brand than those who don't
- 70% of Facebook consumers will follow links provided by their family and friends
- 68% of marketers have said that Facebook ads are effective in fan and customer acquisition
The Value for Marketers
These statistics help give an insight into how people are using Facebook, when the highest engagement and traffic occurs and what attitude marketers now have towards the social network. As the statistics show, the more fans your page can accumulate, the better it is. This is because fans of your page are more likely to happily recommend and purchase from you.
Facebook's Timeline design has also encouraged higher levels of engagement that people have with brands, in particular that of interactive content. It's important to remember that automating your posts will ultimately work against you in the long run. So make sure you're only using them when absolutely necessary, not as the chief posting option.
With 68% of marketers also stating that Facebook ads are an effective advertising option, it's hard to deny the ever-growing value of Facebook as a marketing platform.
Another important statistic to take note of, however, is that 95% of wall posts are NOT ANSWERED by brands. If the majority of brands on Facebook aren't interacting well with their fans and still are seeing good results, imagine how successful your social media presence will be by simply remembering to engage with your fanbase.
The more you humanise your brand on any social network, the more you will benefit. Some of the most successful brands on Facebook are the ones that actually speak to their fans - not at them. So remember to engage, and you'll already be doing a better job than most brands out there.
Do you think Facebook is an important marketing platform? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
* Statistics courtesy of HubSpot