It’s been an interesting month. Facebook continues to run televised ads on its privacy commitments in the wake of user concerns and an increase in account deletion. Meanwhile, Snapchat’s Australian user count has risen after the roll out of new features.
Here’s what you need to know for August:
- Snapchat’s worldwide active daily user count has shrunk for the first time ever since it’s launch in 2011. The daily active user number shrank 1.5 percent down to 188M from 191M in the last quarter.
- Tech Crunch found that IGTV has been struggling to hold it’s own. It was found that although the standalone app initially peaked as #25 overall iPhone app worldwide and has seen 2.5 million downloads across iOS and Android, it’s recently dropped to #1497 with a whopping 94% decrease in weekly installs.
- Facebook has started developing its own speech recognition feature under the name “Aloha”. Similarly to Google Assistant, it is speculated that the feature will run on both hardware and software.
- Snapchat also developed new speech recognition software, rolling out a series of lenses that respond to simple phrases and voice commands. Although the app has introduced features that incorporate audio already, this is the first time snapchat has offered a lense with the capability to recognise words.
Australian Facebook Statistics
(Please note: With the statistics related to the 3 Most Liked Brands, we source this information from Socialbakers - based on Brands and Australian Facebook fans only. We then prioritise the Australian arms of a brand if a brand appears more than once in the top 3 - e.g. we show the numbers for the McDonald's Australia page, not the American McDonald's page. If ever you notice a sudden fluctuation in numbers or completely different brand pages in the top 3, keep in mind we're basing this simply off what Socialbakers reports at the time. These statistics are available to anyone with a Facebook account.)
|Active Users:||15,000,000 (consistent)|
|Penetration of Population:||60% (based off the Australian Bureau of Statistics' latest population estimate: 24.6 million)|
|3 Most Liked Brands||
1. Nick Cheadle Fitness (1,817,494)
2. McDonald’s (1,306,121)
3. Coles (1,286,330)
Australian Social Media Statistics (Other)
|Twitter:||4,700,000 monthly users (↑)|
|LinkedIn:||4,500,000 monthly users (↑)|
|WhatsApp:||6,000,000 monthly users (↑)|
|Snapchat:||6,300,000 monthly users (↑)|
|Instagram:||9,000,000 monthly users (consistent)|
|YouTube:||15,000,000 monthly visitors (consistent)|
Australian Desktop Internet Browsers (% Market Share)
|Internet Explorer:||6.94% ↓|
Australian Search Engines - All Devices: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet, Console (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||6.75% ↑|
Australian Mobile Operating Systems (% Market Share)
|Windows Phone:||0.2% ↓|
|All the rest:||
Australian Mobile Browsers (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||2.22% ↓|
Australian Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet Usage (% Market Share)
* Statistics are current at time of publishing
** Statistics sourced from:
If you'd like to keep up-to-date on the latest marketing and tech news, be sure to subscribe to our blog via email. You can find the subscription box to the top-right or on the bottom of this page.