We hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a smashing New Year! Before we dive into all the awesome opportunities 2017 has for us, it's time to review last month's social media stats! It's been a crazy month as we celebrated the final month of 2016 (read more here for a recollection of the biggest trends in social media in 2016 and a preview of what's to come this year). We were bombarded with Holiday selfies and Christmas & New Year's promotions all over the internet. But Social media was what added that special element of personalisation, letting brands and users truly connect and claim the holidays! Here are just a few things that happened in the month of December 2016:
- Facebook Ads received an update for change which continues, as they roll out multiple product features in a single news feed ad. They also launched holiday greeting cards, another way to share moments.
- Twitter launched the 360-degree live video via periscope feature.
- Snapchat was all well into making the holidays a wonderful time of the year introducing Group Chat, Use Scissors, Paintbrush and Shazam Tool In December Update
- This month, on Instagram, users are now able to disable comments and remove followers from private accounts, it also continues to adopt Snpachat-like features like live video and dispappearing photos.
Want to stay up to date with Australia's social media statistics? Enter your email address into the form to the right of this page or 'Like' us on Facebook.
Australian Facebook Statistics
(Please note: With the statistics related to the 3 Most Liked Brands, we source this information from Socialbakers - based on Brands and their Australian Facebook fans only. We then prioritise the Australian arms of a brand if a brand appears more than once in the top 3 - e.g. we show the numbers for the McDonald's Australia page, not the American McDonald's page. If ever you notice a sudden fluctuation in numbers or completely different brand pages in the top 3, keep in mind we're basing this simply off what Socialbakers reports at the time. These statistics are available to anyone with a Facebook account.)
|Total Users:||15,000,000 (consistent)|
|Penetration of Population:||62.5% (based off the Australian Bureau of Statistics' latest population estimate: 24 million Australians)|
|3 Most Liked Brands||
1. McDonalds (1, 239, 430)
2. Lorna Jane (1, 114, 414)
3. Coles (1, 114, 346)
Australian Social Media Statistics (Other)
|Twitter:||2,800,000 users (consistent)|
|LinkedIn:||3,600,000 users (↑100,000)|
|Snapchat:||4,000,000 users (consistent)|
|Instagram:||5,000,000 users (consistent)|
|YouTube:||14,700,000 UAVs (unique Australian visitors - almost as much as Facebook users although different type of engagement (↑50,000)|
Australian Desktop Internet Browsers (% Market Share)
Australian Search Engines - All Devices: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet, Console (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.21%|
Australian Mobile Operating Systems (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||1.62%|
Australian Mobile Browsers (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.96%|
Mobile Internet vs Desktop Internet Usage
* Statistics are current at time of publishing
** Statistics sourced from:
If you'd like to keep up-to-date on the latest marketing and tech news, be sure to subscribe to our blog via email. You can find the subscription box to the top-right or on the bottom of this page.