This month in social media, we continue to see other platforms taking a page from Facebook (pun intended) but not to slow it down, Facebook continues to innovate with new services and features. Perhaps the biggest trend over all social networks has to be the Oscars with hashtags trending #Oscars and #FakeOscars, in the latter part of February, we couldn't help but giggle as we saw our newsfeeds flooded with Oscar memes.
Here are a few of February's social media update highlights:
- Facebook, always on the move to make life easier, now offers international money transfers through their Messenger app. Another update, sure to make it's way into your life is weather. No, we're not talking about the actual weather but rather a widget-like feature to give users a more personalised and comprehensive forecast at the days ahead.
- Snapchat "Spectacles" are now available to the general public! Now you can make snaps as you see them! And if that wasn't cool enough, if you have presciption glasses, you can get your optician to swap out the spectacles and put in your prescription ones for the same experience.
- Instagram rolls out carousel ablums - just like Facebook, you can now upload multiple photos to a single Instagram.
- Twitter places timeouts on the activity of abusive users as a bid to tighten up its safety guidelines.
Australian Facebook Statistics
(Please note: With the statistics related to the 3 Most Liked Brands, we source this information from Socialbakers - based on Brands and their Australian Facebook fans only. We then prioritise the Australian arms of a brand if a brand appears more than once in the top 3 - e.g. we show the numbers for the McDonald's Australia page, not the American McDonald's page. If ever you notice a sudden fluctuation in numbers or completely different brand pages in the top 3, keep in mind we're basing this simply off what Socialbakers reports at the time. These statistics are available to anyone with a Facebook account.)
|Total Users:||17,000,000 (↑1,000,000 since last update)|
|Penetration of Population:||71% (based off the Australian Bureau of Statistics' latest population estimate: 24 million Australians)|
|3 Most Liked Brands||
1. McDonalds (1, 249, 821)
2. Nick Cheadle Fitness (1, 172, 965)
3. Coles (1, 131, 075)
Australian Social Media Statistics (Other)
|Twitter:||2,800,000 users (consistent)|
|LinkedIn:||3,600,000 users (consistent)|
|Snapchat:||4,000,000 users (consistent)|
|Instagram:||5,000,000 users (consistent)|
|YouTube:||15, 000,000 UAVs (unique Australian visitors ↑200,000)|
Australian Desktop Internet Browsers (% Market Share)
Australian Search Engines - All Devices: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet, Console (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.65%|
Australian Mobile Operating Systems (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||1.11%|
Australian Mobile Browsers (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.45%|
Mobile Internet vs Desktop Internet Usage
* Statistics are current at time of publishing
** Statistics sourced from:
If you'd like to keep up-to-date on the latest marketing and tech news, be sure to subscribe to our blog via email. You can find the subscription box to the top-right or on the bottom of this page.