During September 2016 a lot of things happened in the social network world, to name a few of these milestones...
- Twitter users rejoiced as the platform allowed users to attach rich media - such as photos, videos or GIFs - or even a poll or quote Tweet without it counting against the 140-character limit.
- Facebook was also busy this month, putting out custom Reactions to celebrate iconic sci-fi series 'Star Trek' and its 50th anniversary. Users could react to eachothers' posts using a laughing Kirk, surprised Spock, an angry Klingon, or other cult favourites. Facebook also rolled out Messenger v1.2.
- Google launched its new app Allo - which integrates AI capabilities into your chat, e.g you can search for your fav YouTube vids while still in the chat app.
- Instagram also made the news, introducing the zoom feature.
Want to stay up to date with Australia's social media statistics? Enter your email address into the form to the right of this page or 'Like' us on Facebook.
Australian Facebook Statistics
(Please note: With the statistics related to the 3 Most Liked Brands, we source this information from Socialbakers - based on Brands and their Australian Facebook fans only. We then prioritise the Australian arms of a brand if a brand appears more than once in the top 3 - e.g. we show the numbers for the McDonald's Australia page, not the American McDonald's page. If ever you notice a sudden fluctuation in numbers or completely different brand pages in the top 3, keep in mind we're basing this simply off what Socialbakers reports at the time. These statistics are available to anyone with a Facebook account.)
|Total Users:||15,000,000 (consistent - same as the past few months)|
|Penetration of Population:||62.5% (based off the Australian Bureau of Statistics' latest population estimate: 24 million Australians)|
|3 Most Liked Brands||
Australian Social Media Statistics (Other)
|YouTube:||14,500,000 UAVs (unique Australian visitors)|
Australian Desktop Internet Browsers (% Market Share)
Australian Search Engines - All Devices: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet, Console (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.22%|
Australian Mobile Operating Systems (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||0.93%|
Australian Mobile Browsers (% Market Share)
|All the rest:||5.24%|
Mobile Internet vs Desktop Internet Usage
* Statistics are current at time of publishing
** Statistics sourced from: